The second job was the mask the spoke blades on the front wheel and have a go at painting the front hub.
the 3rd job was to install the new taper head races to the frame and fit the triple clamps. I used this Pyramid parts kit bought of ebay. The upper and lower bearings are different with the lower pressing directly on the the steerer, remember to fit the seal on first! Also pay attention to the lower race as it needs tapping inside the frame's head tube all the way to the frame stop, this way the bearing is in the frame and the seal works properly. I actually didn't use the supplied top seal and retained the dust shield of the original MBX headset, firstly it assembles better this way and secondly keeps it looking standard.
lastly I got some more bolts back from zink plating, so the nuts on the suspension linkage now all match!